Meet the Counselor Letter
Counselor Connection Fall 2020
Hurricane Preparedness for children/teens (with COVID too)
- Disaster Distress Hotline:This helpline, sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), provides immediate counseling for people affected by any disaster or tragedy. Call 1-800-985-5990 to connect with a trained professional from the closest crisis counseling center within the network.
- Mental Health America-Greater Houston: 713-523-8963 org
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: The Lifeline provides 24-hour, toll-free, and confidential support to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to connect with a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area. Support is available in English and Spanish and via live chat.
- Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741741 for free and confidential support 24 hours a day throughout the U.S.
- Veterans Crisis Line:This helpline is a free, confidential resource for Veterans of all ages and circumstances. Call 1-800-273-8255, press “1”; text 838255; or chat online to connect with 24/7 support.
- Texas/United Way Hotline (food, shelter, physical/mental health, financial, senior assistance) English/Spanish: dial 211 or United Way Houston
Facts about COVID-19 by the CDC
Student Handout on Coronavirus
Article on supporting kids who are worried at home
How to Talk to Your Kids about Coronavirus
Child Mind Institute: Talking to Kids About Coronavirus
BRAINPOP: Coronavirus video for children
PBS for Parents: How to Talk to Your Kids about Coronavirus
Family information on Catholic Charities mental health resources and financial support.
LINK: https://catholiccharities.org/coronavirus/ phone: 713-874-6590
FISHER PHILLIPS Webinar on: Families First Corona Virus Response Act: Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and Emergency Family Medical Leave (EFML) link: Fisher Phillips webinar recording
NAMI: National Alliance of Mental Illness: M-F 10:00 am-6:00 pm: 1-800-950-6264
Mental Health America-Greater Houston: 833-251-7544 or https://mhahouston.org
National Association of School Psychologists: https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/helping-ch
Texas/United Way Hotline (food, shelter, physical/mental health, financial, senior assistance) English/Spanish: dial 211 or United Way Houston
COVID-19 Resource for Families
Video for all students and families
Simple Activities for Children and Teens
The Yucky Bug Story: for 3rd-5th graders
Podcast: The Coronavirus for Kids (but why?): The Science of Soap
PK3-Kinder – Sesame Street Video
All levels- Wash Your Lyrics