Why St. Helen?
Welcome to St. Helen Catholic School, home to the 2014-2015 Galveston-Houston Archdiocese Teacher of the Year – Mrs. Lilia Keister! Mrs. Keister (K teacher) is a fine representative of our instructional staff. The entire St. Helen community is extremely proud of Mrs. Keister.
All of our staff are worthy of awards…please get to know them and St. Helen Catholic School! We are dually accredited by the TCCED (Texas Catholic Conference Education Department) and AdvancED (formerly Southern Association of Schools).
We, the community of St. Helen Catholic School, firmly believe that learning is a life-long process to be nurtured and sustained at all levels. At the heart of the educational process is the faith formation of all persons, especially our students, through the personal commitment of each staff member and an academic program centered on Christian values.
Our students know that we have high expectations for them, and they strive to meet them. We welcome involvement from parents and the community as together, we ensure our school maintains our Catholic identity. Our national Catholic School theme for the upcoming 2016-2017 school year is “Catholic Schools: Communications of Faith, Knowledge, and Service.” Our continued mission is to grow children in “Wisdom, Age, Grace” or WAG!
About Our School:
- St. Helen is TCCED & AdvancED accredited.
- SHCS is 1 of 2 Catholic schools in Brazoria County.
- SHCS is the ONLY Catholic school in the Archdiocese to have two teacher recipients of the prestigious Sally Landrum Excellence in Teaching Award.
- In the past two years, enrollment has increased by 33%.
- All teachers are Texas or TCCED certified.
- SHCS is the only Catholic school in the country to hold the “Green Ribbon Award” (stewardship of the earth) for 5 years consecutive years.
- We offer a before and after school care program for registered students.
- Many students are enrolled in before and after school activities, including, but not limited to: Dance Club, Geography Club, Academic & Fine Arts Competitions, Drama & Speech Tournaments, Quiz Bowl, Reading Clubs, Music Club, Spanish Club, Chess Club, Athletics, and many more!
- Our Lady Saints are the 2014 champions for Girls’ Basketball & Volleyball in our region of the entire Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
- A full-time Intervention Specialist and part-time Counselor are available to students.
- Students in 4th-7th grade participate and are eligible for the DECATS and Duke Talent programs.